Sunday, January 11, 2004

God fucking damnit. I hate Capcom.

Sure, they've given me a whole decade and thensome of fun with the Street Fighter series, but this Ghosts & Goblins shit is killing me. I keep looking at my list of things to do, and before I embark on my little adventure I wanted to get a little progress going on my 7th goal. Since Ghosts & Goblins was being such a pain in the ass, I thought I'd move on to it's sequel, Ghoul's & Ghosts. Initially I tried to play the original arcade version, but the save state system for MAME confuses the shit out of me. The only other viable option is to open up GENS and play the Genesis version. Audio and Visuals aren't quite up to par with the Arcade version, but it's damn near close enough. The most important thing is that the save state system in GENS is very easy to operate.

The game, while far more complex, is a bit easier than the original Ghosts & Goblins. In Ghoul's & Ghosts, your character has the ability to throw weapons upward as well as downward. Capcom has always had a problem with allowing you to fire weapons vertically instead of merely horizontally. I never understood this. Why was it that Megaman, despite all his enhancements... couldn't just aim his goddamn arm upwards and fire? Oddly enough, when this game was remade for the SNES, Capcom took out the ability to fire in 4 directions. Zuh? What a bunch of complete assholes.

After half an hour of playing, I finally made it to the end.



So there I am at the end of the mountain fortress. Fighting Satan/Lucifer/Loki or whoever the fuck he's called now. But wait... he's not the last boss. NO! It's some weird evil Moth thing that separates istelf into smaller more evil Moths. I couldn't get a screen shot, so I made you a nice little sketch.



Not terribly hard, but ultimately defeatable. Naturally with Ghosts & Goblins / Ghouls & Ghosts, you can't just play through the game once. OH NO! You can't do that... no what are you thinking? Fucking bastard game makes you play it through again, and yes like Ghosts & Goblins, it's much harder the second time through.

Here's the typical bullshit you should expect with this game.



So Moses here gives me the business. Once he's finished your freaky blue haired bitch of a woman informs you that you need to find the "Goddess Bracelet."




This means you have to go through the game, wear magic armor, and find this item at random. Once you get the itme, you CANNOT obtain any other weapon or else you have to play through the game all over again. Anyone who's reading this is probably asking, "Why? Why do this to yourself? These games are nothing but pain and frustration!" Well, that's correct. There are 3 reasons why these games must be defeated.

1. They are impossible to defeat without the aid of save states. Therefore, there's no one that I've know that was capable of defeating these games prior to the existence of emulating software.

2. If I die before beating these games, I will die a failure.

3. I now want to track down and kill whoever programmed these games.

This is my mission. Until my mission is completed, all I can say is...