Sunday, February 29, 2004

Yes, I have cousins.

With today being Febuary 29, I want to take this time to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my cousin Jackie. When I came home from my trip to Sedona, I was happy to learn that Jackie had spent the weekend down in Arizona. She grew tired of the fact that Salt Lake City didn't have a bit of sunshine for 15 days. Unfortunately for her, the skies were heavily overcast the entire time she was here. Being born on Leap Year always gave me the opportunity to pronounce seniority over her. Jackie always found such pronouncements amusing especially since she's my elder by 10 years.

During the 90's everyone in the family expected Jackie to get married and have children before she turned 30 like every other woman in our family. My father even made a bet with her. If she made it to age 30 without a ring on her finger or a child at home, my father would gladly pay her 500 dollars. Last year, Jackie turned 30 and my father had to pay up. My father, being the wise ass that he is, commented on how Jackie didn't really turn 30 since her birthday is Febuary 29th. Jackie only had to glare at my father for a few moments before he quietly handed over the 500 dollars.

My thoughts have been on my extended family recently. My aunt and her family all live in good old Salt Lake City, Utah. Ever since my grandfather passed away back in 1996, I have not been back to that city. Perhaps paying everyone a visit after all these years isn't a bad idea.