Monday, September 22, 2003

And this is pretty much the last time I ever wanted to use Poser.



Okay, here's the deal. I was chatting with Molly and we were exchanging ideas for a picture. She wanted me to do something involving a meditating monk... sitting position and all. After reading that description I immediately thought of that famous Vietnam picture of the monk who lit himself on fire. Well, since there was already a picture of that... I'd have to create my own version using Poser.

Poser, like I've stated before, is a piece of shit. If you can imagine trying to manipulate fine points of a 3d model with a 2d interface, then you can fathom why I hate this program. It's bad enough that the controls don't make any sense, but it gets worse when you know what you want to do and you have to fight with the program to do it. The very worst part of it is that the flat shaded textures of the model have no collision detection. So parts, no matter how "normally" posed, well cut into each other making the whole damn thing look shitty when you run your final render. I spent hours trying to get the position of the feet just right... but it just would not work. Essentially what I ended up with was a figure who's feet were sticking out of the top of his thighs. That's just not right, so that's why you can't see the lower portion of the figure. Luckily the fire I pasted on top worked out just perfectly.

The face of the figure is actually a real photograph taken of a japanese burn victim. The original picture (which I do not have) shows that the person was so badly burned that they had a weird troll/orc like apperance. It's quite disturbing, so naturally I had to incorporate it into one of my pictures. The background is a standard beksinski paitning.