Tuesday, December 16, 2003

Today is officially "Lord of the Rings" day. This means as a group of friends, everyone is going to be at Brian's house watching both Fellowship of the Ring and Two Towers extended editions only to then walk over to AMC Ahwatukee 24 and watch Return of the King at midnite. Oddly enough, I'm actually being a part of this. "But David, why is that odd? Don't you like Lord of the Rings?" Well, to be perfectly honest, not really. I enjoyed the Hobbit more than Lord of the Rings. I could spend all day giving a list of reasons why I'd rather watch the Roger Corman classic "Deathrace 2000" than the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but it's highly doubtful that I'll manage to get anyone to understand those reasons.

Of course a great number of my friends are crazy about Lord of the Rings. I know my friend John will probably end up dressing up as a hobbit before he watches the movie tonight. Of course he'll be the only one, and it will be very awkward. I wonder if he cuddles his pillow at night while he sleeps and says to himself "Oh Gandalf, why can't you knock on my door and take me on a magical adventure!" (Of course if John ever reads this, my ass is definately going to get kicked to some degree. Love ya, John.)

In short, I don't hate Lord of the Rings, and as movies I think they're nicely done. There's just something about them that doesn't really capture my interest. It probably has more to do with the fact I've never been big on that particular fantasy genre. Also, I hate the damned elves. Whenever I read about them or see them on screen I want them all to die a horrible and gruesome death. Damned arrogant, pretty faced, pointy eared fuckers.

Even though I've read all the books and was extremely dissapointed with how anti-climactic Return of the King was, I'm still looking forward to seeing how it is adapted tonight. I'm on edge to see what creative changes will be made to the story. Will Aragorn have his final fight with Sauron? Will Gandalf finally do ANYTHING interesting? Will Merry and Pippin be arrested for posession of illegal pipe weed? Most importantly, will Sam and Frodo finally confess their love for each other? We all saw it at the end of The Two Towers.

"I want to hear more about Samwise the Brave! I couldn't have gone much far without him."



Oh yeah, there's gonna be a whole lotta Sam & Frodo love.