Tuesday, August 17, 2004

GOOD OLD FASHIONED HOLLYWOOD BLASPHEMY

Every now and then I read a clip of entertainment news that makes me shake my head. Nothing made me shake my head more than reading that the 1960's science fiction classic, "Logan's Run," is being remade for release in 2005. The idea of a remake is just a bit ironic considering the story. "Renew" indeed.

Now don't get me wrong here, not all movie remakes are dissapointing. John Carpenter's remake of "The Thing (1982)" was far superior to the original schlocky 1950's horror film about a plant monster attacking a group of arctic researchers. However, good remakes are practically non-existent. I only need to remind people of the absolute travesty of a remake that was Tim Burton's remake of "Planet of the Apes (2001)."

My Father, being 65 years old, has informed me that within my lifetime I will no doubt see all my favorite movies from my child remade five or six times over. While it pains me to think that movies like Dark Crystal or Krull will eventually be remade with updated schnazzy computer generated special effects, I guess it's a reality I will soon have to accept.

I decided to beat Hollywood to the punch. I have created a poster for the ultimate example of movie remake blasphemy. Behold, Casablanca soon to be remade and released in 2005



Oh, a little tip for all you bloggers out there. If you add two br tags to the beginning of your template, it will solve that annoying problem involving the new search bar eating up the top of your page.