Monday, June 14, 2004

WOW! WINDOWS REALLLY IS CRAP!

Right now I'm making this post while running the latest version of Knoppix. For those of you who don't know, Knoppix is a linux distribution that is exists on a single cd. Meaning, if you want to run linux, all you need to do is pop in the cd and boot off of the drive. The entire OS is loaded into RAM.

For the past two months my good friend Edward Carter offered to teach me how to program in perl and I never could because I couldn't install linux on this machine. Apparently you cannot partition a "dynamic" hard drive. Luckily on my birthday, John Roland (god bless is heart) handed me a copy of Knoppix.

Just today I started running Knoppix just as a little project for the night. This is the first time I've used Linux since my Junior year of college. Then I was using a commercial distribution of Debian called "Stormix" for my programming classes.

So here's the real kicker about Knoppix. You already know that it runs off of cd and loads itself into the RAM of your machine. What you probably didn't know is that despite all this, Knoppix runs much faster on my machine than Windows XP ever did. That's just shameful. Now, to reinstall everything and to get Adobe CS working on Linux...