Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Trapped Inside

Greetings from the university of Phoenix Online building 3201. As stated in one of my comments, I'm interviewing later today for a graphic design job at U.S. Screen Printing. Hopefully I can jump ship out of a job that would require me to answer phones for the second half of a day and do something that's more suitable for my talents.

Just being in a work setting again has made me calmer. There is a fear lurking inside this old brain that this type of job will turn me into quite a mundane individual. It must be a new mission for me not to become an uncharismatic working stiff. The environment here is much like the environment back at Eller College. White boards, power point slides, and lots of crude office humor. However, a lot of the fellow trainees are nice and interesting people.

Many of the guys here are ex-military folk just trying to get by. Others have been working in tech support since the mid 90's and are trying to recover from massive lay-offs that occurred not too long ago at MCI. A very lovely young lady sitting next to me shared a story about working as a convenience store clerk. She told stories about the many items that were thrown at her while working. The most notable item was a whiskey bottle followed closely by a sub sandwich.

The working world is indeed a bitch and it does make one dream of a hermit like existence up in a cold foggy mountain. Only problem with a cold foggy mountain would be the lack of photoshop + illustrator. I'd give anything right now if I could photoshop a killer whale jumping out of the ocean while having air to surface missiles attached to its fins.