Friday, April 02, 2004

MISSING HALVES

While working on turning my friend Brian into a Zombie, vector tracing a screen cap from Hokuto No Ken, studying for GMAT, and hanging out with friends, I've neglected this blog for a bit. Back on the 27th I read a post on this young lady's blog about the idea of soulmates.

"I believe its possible to have a soul mate, but it is exceptionally rare. I do not at all believe that everyone has one. I believe that it isn't 2 souls coming together but 2 halves. And the only way i can justify them having ever been separated is if they willingly separated. "

This post got me thinking of how to represent a person missing half of themselves. How to make the intangible self cause a visual effect on the human body when half of the intangible self leaves or is removed. The image is crude, but it gets the point across.



More importantly, how would someone respond if they woke up one day and realized that half of themself is gone. I too have felt the need to search out for something I feel like I'm missing. As if somewhere out in the world my other half is waiting for me to come and claim it. What if I unwillingly and unknowingly became separated from my other half? Perhaps my other half ran off to complete and solve someone else's missing half dilemma. Perhaps my other half simply could not stand to be near the half that is still here with me. In either case, I feel like an imcomplete person... abandoned by my other half.

For these halves to willingly separate, then an agreement had to have been made. Neither half shared the same view on what they wanted in life. They call it quits and split, but will always feel empty and incomplete while not being together. Of course they should be together, they're two halves of the same person, but for some reason these halves could not co-exist. If the halves figure out over time that they do indeed belong together, how could they find each other? I suppose that's the real challenge in life. How to overcome impssible odds and find one's self in this vast lonely world.

Trying to overcome that challenge could be made easier if one knows what they are looking for. In my case, I was considering the old fashioned "milk carton" method of finding someone.